Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thansgiving 2009 - London - Part 2

Thanksgiving is one of those holidays that Americans hold very dear. And I was invited by some dear fellow expats, Alan and Wendy to join them at their flat for a full-on Thanksgiving Pot Luck complete with a turkey and all the trimmings.

I volunteered to make the orange foods - Pumpkin Pie and Spicy Yams. The pumpkin, which is somewhat hard to find in London, I brought with me in my luggage with the plan to make a pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving. The Yams were sweet potatoes that I bought at Sainsbury's which were grown in South Carolina (this somehow seemed natural).

I also brought one of the remaining bottles of Zinfandel that I'd smuggled over in my luggage.

Negin made this massive tray of what she christened, Mac and Crack. It was an amazing piece of classic americana. Tony would have loved it.

Alan and Wendy live in Hampstead, which about a 15 min walk, a 25 min train ride, and another 15 min walk (typical in London). I walked up the hill to the station carrying my pot of yams and my Pumpkin Pie. While there, I saw a couple other people carrying pans of food to their various dinner parties. In my mind, they were all Americans heading to their own Thanksgiving Dinners.

No comments:

Post a Comment