Saturday, November 7, 2009

Do the British Really Love "Man's Best Friend"?

Here are a collection of signs I've seen while here in Europe explaining the rules for dogs. In a densely populated city like London, the need to control animals, and to make sure that people don't allow their pets to overwhelm it are very important. I believe a society can be judged in how it deals with children, whether human or of another species.





When Tony and I first decided to come to Europe, I was very excited to become a part of the world where Dogs are much more understood and allowed to participate in regular activities - more so than in the US. I was told I would be ablet o bring my dog, much like a child to a pub.

However, as soon as Tony and I began looking at apartments, we were told that finding one that allows dogs was going to be difficult.

It was explained to me that London is a "cat city" and that Dogs are more tolerated than embraced. It was also explained to me that the british like dogs, but it is the French and the Germans that really love and appreciate dogs.







One thing certainly is clear. The british do not like dog poop. the majority of signs regarding dogs is to the control of their poop. As someone who has stepped in dog poop in Paris (not an uncommon occurance there), I understand the need to avoid having the same unsanitary conditions occur here in London.


It struck me funny one day when I caught one brit allowing his dog to poop in a green median strip, and it was clear that he wasn't going to pick it up. When I nicely asked if he was going to pick it up, he told me flatly to, "F--- Off".












I think the jury is still out as to whether or not the British love "Man's Best Friend." In about another month, my dogs will be joining Tony and me here in London. Then we will really find out. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment