Thursday, November 12, 2009

Goodbye to the Bendy Buses

Londoners have mixed feelings about the Bendy Buses that run up Route 38. This is the route I ride from my apt in Angel/Islington to work in Soho when it's raining. The buses are over 19 meters long (that's about 60 feet).

As a cyclist-commuter, I can certainly attest to the challenge of navigating around these big beasts. As a bus-rider, I can tell you that boarding the bendy buses is much easier than boarding one of London's signature double decker buses.

I may be going out on a limb, but I like the Bendy buses. I find them modern, spacious, and quick to load and unload. The double decker buses with their spiral staicase take a long time to get on and off.

As of November 14th, the bendy buses will be gone from route 38. I will miss them. I don't know what I'll do if I need to take my bike (albeit a folding bike) on the bus. . .





A bike's eye view of the back of a bendy bus on my evening commute home.

1 comment:

  1. I can report that "bendy busses" are alive and well in L.A. and San Francisco. They need about 10 sec. to clear an intersection, which seems to be all day when you're trying to cross the street. I don't think I would care to ride a bicycle next to one.

    ReplyDelete