Friday, July 17, 2009

My new Office

I started my new job at Double Negative on July 15th. It is in the heart of Soho, just across the street from Chinatown and just a few blocks away from Piccadilly Circus. It" is a younger visual effects house that is just celebrating its 10th Anniversary. I remember that the first film I saw that they did the effects for was Pitch Black. I interviewed with them at what was called the "reverse recruitment" event at Sony. It was an opportunity for outside employers to come to Sony and "cherry pick" some of the best people that Sony was laying off. I interviewed with them for an undisclosed project, but one they felt would be right up my alley.

Now that I'm officially an employee, and it is public knowledge, they have revealed that I am going to be working on John Carter of Mars based upon the books by Edgar Rice Burroughs. It has the potential of being a trillogy. The film is going to be directed by Andrew Stanton of Finding Nemo and Wall-E fame. I've seen many attempts at making this project over the years, and it has always looked very exciting.

My desk has a great view over Shaftesbury Ave, and in the distance, I can see the Millennium Wheel. If I look out the back of the building, I have a great view of what I can only describe as Mary Poppin's style rooftops. Only in London. So far they have been great in getting me any of the software I've needed, and it looks like I'll be building a lot of Monsters for them. This year looks to flyby quickly, and then we'll see about what happens after that.


2 comments:

  1. Kevin, I used to sit where you are! You on the fourth floor? I'm in South Africa again with my wife and son - I sadly left double Negative a year ago to move back here - but what a pity I missed the opportunity to work together with you - If you recall, I took a couple skinning classes you taught at Gnomon in 2001 and 2002. Looking at your photos of De Hems and your blog's mentions of all the people I worked with made me all nostalgic.

    -Tyson Cross

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh.. Double Negative.. The dream-studio of many (young) VFX artists. I hope to be part of it someday. A student of my school got a job there after graduation two years ago and is a director now. I heard he's going to work on the film John Carter of Mars too! (The creatures) Sounds all exciting. I'm so jealous! :)

    -P. Jim

    ReplyDelete