Sunday, July 26, 2009

London Ikea

Now that we have an apt, the first order of business is to get a couple essential furnishings to go with it so I can live there for the next 4 months without the rest of the house. The best and quickest solution - IKEA - of which I'm told there are 5 in the London Area.

Our friend Jeff lives just south of London in an area called Surbiton, and there is an IKEA not far from him. It was funny to go to IKEA as the exterior and interior feel very universal. It was the most familiar place I've seen in London since I arrived. Even the food looks virtually the same. Of course it is all Swedish. We had a quick cup of coffee and a danish and off we went to do some shopping.

We bought a fold out futon like couch a lamp and a coffee table. We also bought a couple kitchen essentials. The landlord is providing a bed and a office desk and chair for me to use until our furniture arrives. I'm actually better furnished than I expected for the next 4 months. Jeff had rented a truck, so we loaded everything in and hauled it back to the Apartment. It looks pretty cute.

Our old neighbor Mark who lived next door to us, then a block away from us, and who now resides in Memphis Tennesee, was in London. We have a history of rendezvousing with him in exotic foreign cities. He swung by the apartment, and we all went out for dinner to celebrate. Sadly, tomorrow Tony heads back to Los Angeles. Mission accomplished, but I'll be sad to see him leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment