Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Waiting and Waiting, and Waiting. . .

So I signed up for Skype while back in the states as the solution to my connectivity issues after I moved to the UK. After finding an apartment, I signed up for Utilities and Water service, and each took about a 5-10 minute conversation on the phone to set them up.

TV, Phone, and Broadband for some reason, though it is all the same vendor, Sky, took about a 40 minute conversation. During my conversation with the Sky salesman, despite having done my research and knowing that their service was what I wanted, tried to convince me that I really should go with Virgin. Am I insane? Or was this salesman for Sky just out of the mental hospital. After finally convincing him that I really wanted to buy his company's services, he asked me when I would like to have them come to set it all up? I of course in my pragmatic American way told him that today would be perfect for me. If not today, what about tomorrow, Sunday. he then informed me that the earliest they could come to install my Sky TV, Broadband, and Phone Service was 3 weeks later. I quickly told him that that day would have to do then.

Again, am I crazy, or have I just solved the unemployment problems in the UK. With demand for Sky's services so high that I am having to wait 3 weeks to get it set up, it seems only natural that Sky hire more people to meet their high demand. As it was quickly pointed out to me, this is not America, this is Britain, and in the UK, cueing is considered good form. Well thankfully, my 3 weeks of being separated from the world is coming to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment