Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Keyboard Differences

The differences between American and British culture can be observed even in regards to the differences in the computer keyboards. Where we (Americans) have the @ key, they (British) have the " key, and where we have the # key, they have the £ key, which we don't even have on our computer. the $ key is still in the same spot. The change in location of the @ key has caused all sorts of craziness for me. I'm adapting, and it is starting to feel less foreign. The Netbook I just bought has the british layout, but my main home system will retain the american layout. Imagine the confusion that this may cause going back and forth between the two systems at home, and the other british systems at work.

I see this as a metaphor of my life at the moment. My home system is American, but my work and my mobile systems are British. Even if I eventually return to the states, it is very likely that I will retain the british mobile Netbook as a reminder of this adventure.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder how the British English Spell Checker will react to your entries?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin -- I totally remember when Robert and I were in Hong Kong how badly I wanted to get a computer there. The KB is absolutely an illustration of the differences in what is deemed "necessary" to be put onto a KB!!! Robert persuaded me not to get the computer because it had some issue kind of like the NTSC/PAL issue with VHS. I wouldn't be able to use the computer stateside. I think it was the power supply issue. It was on 220V instead of 110V. And there was something else, but I can't remember now. Where is the @ sign on the British KB?

    ReplyDelete