Saturday, August 1, 2009

Food in London

So far the food in London has been great. I was prepared for there to be bad food everywhere, but I have found it to be just as cosmopolitan a city as Los Angeles. I will say that I have not explored Mexican/Tex Mex as far as I will in the coming months, but I've had a couple burritos that have been good and traditional in the Fresh Mex genre.

Across the board, Fish and Chips is always good, and is certainly the national dish. I haven't had it served to me in Newspaper, but I have had it wrapped in paper.

I've also had some great Meat Pies (a la Mrs. Lovett's). I've tried the Steak and Beer Pie, the Beef Pasty, and the Steak and Potato Pies. You can find them in Pubs or they are easily available at these small corner Pasty shops.






One fun traditional food that I've enjoyed is the Sunday Afternoon Roast. You will see these everywhere. On Sundays, the pubs will cook and serve Roast Chicken, Beef, Pork, and occasionally Lamb. It is served with all the traditional trimmings: Roasted Potatoes, Yorkshire Pudding, and Vegetables. It is of course the draw to get you in to also have a Pint of excellent, non-refridgerated beer. (Not warm, mind you, just not necessarily cold). I have found that there are certain beers that are served cold such as Fosters. You can also find Bud and Coronas in the bottle and chilled.

A lot of the food is very much "comfort food". The first evening after Tony left to head back to the states, I decided to treat myself to a nice meal, and since it was Sunday, I went out for a nice Roast Dinner at a local pub with outdoor seating. It was covered, and though it started to rain, to was a pleasant way to dine and have a pint for my first night on my own again in London.

2 comments:

  1. All that wonderful food....good thing you joined a gym!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mexican abroad... ok, so when I lived in Paris (yawn, I know) there was NO Mexican to be had. This was 90-91 school term. Finally, toward the end of the school year, we found this one shop that had Mexican fixins.. tortillas, salsa, jack cheese. PIG OUT. The only Mexican I found *anywhere* I traveled in Europe that whole year was in Edinburgh, of all places! I was there for four nights, ate at the Mexican place 3. It was good!

    Last time I was in Paris - 2002ish- there was good Mexican to be had in the Marais and the 11th. Yay, Global Village! I'm sure when you get your bearings you'll find same good stuff. And don't forget the Indian!!!! To die for.

    ReplyDelete