Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Mobile Broadband is not Real Broadband

While waiting for my broadband connection with the illusive Sky, I explored the options of using these very clever USB Mobile Broadband sticks that all of the Long Distance carriers have. My coworker Paul, who is also over here from the States, lent me his O2 stick to try out, but I couldn't get it to work on my home 64-bit system. I looked at the packaging, and it said that it only works with 32 bit. I promptly went out and purchased a T-Mobile stick that was allegedly compatible with my 64 bit system.

I have no idea what 64 bit systems running Windows XP that they supposedly got their stick to work on, but it wouldn't run on mine. I tried everything. I even spoke to their paid support staff. Yes, they charge by the minute to help you to get their product to work. NO DICE! The driver that comes with the stick does not work with 64 bit computers no matter what they say. And don't bother trying to get people in the stores to help you either. Everything you've heard about customer service in the UK is true. . .

My solution - buy a new 32-bit Toshiba Net book running Windows XP. And it is the cutest little Netbook, I've ever seen. Even better, it has a near full size keyboard. And yes, the keyboard is in british configuration. I figure if ever I return to the US, I have a really nifty souvenier to remember this crazy broadband odyssey.

So at last I have broadband. I can reach the internet with my T-mobile stick. . . I can see google, I can get my email on aol.
However, evil T-mobile blocks Skype!!!! NOOOOOOOO!!!! They of course don't want you to use Skype, they want you to use their own long distance service so why would they let you access the Skype Website. . .

I hate T-Mobile. My solution. I went to 3(Three), the Irish Long Distance carrier(yes, you see this coming) and bought another USB Mobile Modem. Will it ever end. . . will Kevin be able to see his family. . . Tony. . . his dogs again . . . or at least without waiting another 3 weeks. . .

Thankfully, 3 allows you to use Skype in conjunction with their stick. It was a happy day when I finally got to see my family and friends back home. I spoke with my friend Pete, and he looked half asleep - of course it was midnight. I hauled my cute little netbook into work, and Tony and I had a very nice conversation, and I g0t to see my dogs. I don't think they understand the image on the computer, but they did recognize my voice when I called their names.

But Mobile Broadband is not real Broadband. It wasn't until I went to the Internet cafe up the way and used their genuine wireless broadband that I got to see and hear people in some semblance of non-staccato clarity. I had a lovely visit with my parents and Tony, and it was fun to aim the camera on the netbook at a passing double decker bus, just to prove that I was in fact in London. Of course I need only tell you the effort it took (2 computers, 3 Mobile Broadband Sticks, innumerable trips to the long distance stores, IN THE RAIN!) to get the modicum of broadband that I have and you know that I am in London. . .

4 comments:

  1. British configuration keyboard! When I lived in Paris I came up against this - well in French, of course - while writing papers for school. The thing is, not ALL the keys are different, which would almost be easier; just some (I seem to remember- it was a long time ago- definitely some of the middle row under the left hand was rearranged). Eventually I just went with the flow and corrected all the misspellings at a go, once I got used to what they were!
    e

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, for one, am really excited at the installation of broadband at the flat! Hopefully it'll be the speed we're accustomed to. That and TV will be available!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As mobile broadband technology is still in the early stages of development and very likely to drop substantially in price in the future, it is advisable, say the experts, that consumers avoid extended contract periods. On the other hand, if money is no object and you are happy to pay for the many advantages of a permanently connected laptop and welcome an escape from all the wires and cables necessary for standard broadband, then go for it!

    ReplyDelete