Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Quest for the Holy Internet

So, I chose to sign up for Sky Digital. They provide Broadband, Cable, and Telephone Service in the UK. After a 45 minute conversation using my US cellphone, I was asked when I would like to have them do the installation. I of course said, "today". They then told me that the earliest day would be 3 weeks later. To which I responded, "then that's what it would have to be". Convenience and customer service don't seem to be a strong suit here. . .

At first, I didn't think that this would be as much of an issue as it has proven to be, but after a couple days with no connection to the outside world from home, I was going nuts. Not to mention, I have no TV to watch. AHHHH!!!!!! the horror. I thought I'd be fine with a bunch of Gnomon Training DVD's to hold me over . . . yeah, right. Good thinking there, Kevin. . .

In my desperation, I turned to these cool USB mobile broadband sticks. They are a really cool idea, but as much as they say that they will work with 64-bit Windows XP, they LIE!!!!

I've tried everything. I even took a bus out to what I call a 3rd world Shopping Mall to the T-mobile store to try to get this thing working with my computer. I even hired a professional to look at the computer and the software to try to get it to work. No dice.

Finally, my solution was to buy another computer. I am now the proud owner of the cutest little Toshiba Netbook. I'm writing this blog entry on it, which is proof that I can in fact reach the internet. I'd planned on using this blog as a diary for the adventure, and because of technical difficulties, I'm a bit behind, but slowly as my technical issues are hopefully resolved, life will get back to normal. Or as Normal as life is in London. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment