Saturday, October 30, 2010

Warhorse

I'd been hearing good things about a play in London called, Warhorse for a while, and when I heard that my mother was coming, I knew that I would want to take her to see it. When first I told her about it, she was a little dubious. I explained that she could see most of the big broadway shows in the US, however she would definitely be the first person on her block to have seen this experimental theater piece. I gave her the website to check it out, and her opinion quickly changed to excitement.




The show is amazing, and though there is no attempt to hide the puppeteers working the horses, one quickly learns to ignore them. The show is incredibly moving and has a great story.



Watching the play made me think about how much effort we visual effects artists go through to make seemless effects in film to help suspend an audience's disbelief, when in fact a simple well told story will upstage any visual effect.




My mother and I loved the show. Even Tony enjoyed it. If ever any of you are in London, I'd highly recommend seeing the show. At this time, Spielberg is making a film version of the play I hope that it will be as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment