Sunday, October 17, 2010

Buckingham Palace

My old mate Eric Armstrong and his daughter Marley came to visit London, and I showed them around a bit. The main highlight of the tour was a visit to Buckingham Palace, which is only open for 2 months in the summer. Tony and I had been anxiously waiting to go see it. The palace is only open for a brief time as it is a working palace and central part of the Government activities here. It is used for many state functions and receptions.





I bought tickets in advance online for 2pm on a weekday - They only allow 8000 visitors a day and you pretty much need an appointment.





I took the afternoon off from work, joined Tony, and we made my way over to the palace in time for the big "Changing of the Guard". It was full of pomp and ceremony with a marching band and many decked out Military personel. We couldn't get too close, though we were told the central fountain, which is raised, would have been an ideal vantage point.

We toured the palace, but were not allowed to take any pictures. It is a beautiful palace, and is perfect for State functions.

The following day, I met Eric and Marley for a pub lunch, so that Eric could get the classic British dish, Fish and Chips.









It was great seeing old friends from back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment