Saturday, October 23, 2010

My Mom's visit - Part 1

When I first told my mother that I was going to be moving to London, she was concerned. When I showed her Skype, she felt a little better, but when I told her that she could come and visit me in England, her eyes lit up. We talked about it for almost a year, and this September, she took me up on my offer and made the long journey from Green Valley, Arizona, USA, to London, England, UK. It was exciting to see her emerge from Customs at Heathrow after not having seen her for over a year. She looked almost the same as she appears in our frequent Skype chats, but clearer.

Sadly, her luggage had been lost in transit, but Virgin Airlines promised to have it brought to my apartment the following day. We hopped on the Heathrow Connect, and took her back home so she could relax after her long journey. We'd planned on an easy evening so she could get some sleep, before the beginning of a week and a half long odyssey. We took her over to the "Duke of Cambridge Pub" for a nice Organic Gastro-Pub dinner. It had been a very long day for her, and I figured that with a good healthy meal she'd sleep like a log.

The following morning, we headed off for foodie heaven, Burough Market. I'd told her numerous times about it, but now she would have the opportunity to experience it herself. We went to Monmouth Coffee for a Latte, which I promised her would be one of the greatest cups of coffee she would ever have in her life. The barista put on a good show, making a heart on the top of her cup with the foam. She drank it down with gusto, and picked up some beans for her friend Vern, who loves good coffee.

We walked around the market, and gave my mother a chance to absorb as much of the tastey goodness as she could handle. It was a lovely morning, and there were all kinds of delicacies from French pastries to Spanish Jamon. We had the guys slice off some of the most expensive Jamon, which is from a pig served only acorns for us to try. Delicious. I've never seen this back home, so it is is quite fun to have it here.




Tony picked up his favorite sandwich in the world, Turkey, Dressing, and Cranberry Sauce. It's like Thanksgiving on a bun.

We also purchased one of the Meat Pies that I'd been telling my mother for so long. That night, she would get to finally try it.


Our old neighbor Mark, who is once again our new neighbor Mark (his company transfered him to London), came with us. It was a lovely day, but they didn't want to accompany us as we wandered off to explore Southbank, so we went our separate ways after lunch.

My mother and I, using the Rick Steves guide, took his walking tour of the Southwark area. The London Bridge right by Burough Market was the original bridge that led into the city as marked by the Lion/Dragons at the beginning of the bridge.

We ducked inside Southwark Cathedral, which is the oldest Gothic building in London. I'd seen many times from the outside, but had never been inside.




It is a beautiful Cathedral, and is the final resting place of Edmond Shakespeare, William Shakespeare's brother. It also has a connection to the Americas in that John Harvard, for whom Harvard University is named was baptised here before emigrating to the US.

We strolled and ate our way to the London Eye, pausing to have Strawberries and Cream, and Chocolate filled Churros. The last time my mother had been to London, the eye had not been built, so she was very excited about finally riding it.

The weather was cooperative, so we had some nice views of London. Mostly, I think my mother was enjoying the opportunity of visiting her son on the other side of the planet.

By this time, we were getting exhausted, so we made our way back to Angel via the Tube.

That night we had the Meat Pie, which my Mother enjoyed. Her luggage finally arrived, and she crashed out early to bed. It was a busy first and second day in London.




No comments:

Post a Comment