Saturday, March 13, 2010

Skiing the Dolomites - Part 6 - Innsbruck

Our last day in Italy began as a hazy overcast day.

We packed our bags, and carried them down to where the Snowmobiles were waiting to take them down to our car.



Everything at the lodge is brought up and down via the snowmobiles. It was an exciting, albeit, cold way to start the day. I dropped the bags off at the car, and went back up to the lodge to meet Tony for Breakfast. I had my last macchiato with the nice hostess who had made them for us each day. I learned to ask her for the same thing by saying, "Das gleich".

I paid for the hotel expense, and Tony and I rode the Snowmobiles back down the mountain to the car one last time. I was a little sad to leave, but I know that I would love to return here to ski again someday.

As our flight wasn't leaving until 3:55 in the afternoon, we decided to drive into historic Innsbruck and look around.

We visited the main tourist site, the Golden Balcony, and wandered around Friedrichsstrasse. It is a beautiful town and so clean in comparison to London.

One highlight was the Speckeria, a store completely dedicated to Bacon.

I know some people say that the Germans are not as organized or efficient as they would like the world to think, but it certainly looks that way from my perspective.

And service is good here. When we went to refuel the car, a gentleman actually ran the pump for me. I had no idea anyone even did that anymore. I thought we had become a "self-service" world.

As I sit here in the Innsbruck airport reflecting on our trip, I think about what an amazing time we had.

I'm sad that Alan and Wendy were unable to join us, and that as all vacations, it has to end so that my strange work/vacation in London can resume. I need to remember to think of my life as one big vacations filled with amazing sites and experiences wherever I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment