Monday, October 26, 2009

London Newbies

Okay, so they're not really newbies by now, but lots of amazingly good ex-Sony people are starting to show up in London. Among them are Michael Stein and his wife Lynn. It was wonderful seeing them the week they arrived. I met them at O'Neils Irish Pub in Angel in an attempt to lure them to live up by me. It was fun downloading to them as much as I had been able to learn over the last little while. Michael had his first British Meat Pie, and Lynn had Fish & Chips and Mushy Peas.


They eventually decided on living in an area on the westside of London called Chiswick (pronounced Chissick - don't ask, it's Brittish). They found a cute little house with a small backyard. It is a little further out just at the end of Zone 2, so it would just barely be bikable if Tony and I were to move there. However, the appeal of a yard for the dogs is fantastic.

Michael and Lynn had me over a month or so after their arrival for a proper Sunday Roast dinner. It was fantastic. Lynn is quite a cook. They used the same mover that Tony and I are planning to use, so it was their turn now to download everything that they had learned in shipping over their belongings. It was fun to have fellow ex-pats (I hate that word) to exchange information that we are all learning as we go through this transition.

When I came over to the UK, I smuggled in some really good wine. It seemed fitting that since Michael used to work for Pixar in Emeryville, CA, that I bring a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon that I'd bought at a winery in Emeryville. It was from a very small producer called Periscope Cellars and only make 800 cases a year. They are located in an old Submarine Repair station (more exotic sounding than it turned out to be). It was a wonderful evening, celebrating their new home here in the UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment