Tuesday, December 27, 2011

London Thanksgiving 2011

After a disappointing Thanksgiving last year, I planned a return to trip on Thanksgiving Day to "The Diner", as though their dinner 2 years ago was mediocre, it had never promised to be a great Thanksgiving Dinner the way I'd been led to expect from BoDean's BBQ.




Being hit with a bit of homesickness that afternoon at work (it isn't a holiday here in London), I found a website broadcasting the Macy's Day Parade online. I'd forgotten how big that parade appears with all those balloons floating through Times Square.


After work, I pedaled home and Tony and I walked up to "The Diner". Sadly, they were not offering even their mediocre Thanksgiving Dinner this year. However they did have a Turkey Burger with Sweet Potato Fries. "Two Burgers, please!". To their credit, it was a great burger and the fries were yummy. The best part of the evening was the wait staff wearing feathers and warpaint on their faces. I guess this is Indian revenge for the English settlers who would ultimately lead to their near genocide.

The Diner had a pumpkin shake for dessert, but that sounded a little dodgy. We hoped that the yogurt shop down the street still had their "Pumpkin Pie" yoghurt. Sadly, when we got there, they explained that they only had it in honor of Halloween. I didn't want to explain to them that though pumpkin pie is occasionally served at Halloween, it primary purpose is to be the dessert at Thanksgiving.



Despite a disappointing Thanksgiving Day, Tony, Mark, and I had planned to do a full-on Thanksgiving Dinner that Saturday. I broke out my last can of Trader Joe's Pumpkin, and made a pie.







I also was in charge of making the Green Bean Cassarole (we'd smuggled in a can of French Fried Onions back with us when we went to Louisiana last year).





Tony made the Cranberry relish from scratch using his favorite recipe. And also made a roasted garlic and cheese appetizer that we'd seen our new favorite British Cooking Diva, Lorraine Pascale make. Tony even made homemade bread for it.




Mark roasted the turkey, made his grandmother's stuffing, and some fabulous sweet potatoes with mini marshmallows on top.




After two years of mediocre Thanksgivings, it was great to finally have a real Thanksgiving Dinner with all the trimmings.

No comments:

Post a Comment