Saturday, November 20, 2010

Spain: Seghovia and Cochinillo


We drove from Turegano to Seghovia. This town is famous for its immense Roman Aqueduct. It is over 2000 years old, and up until less that 100 years ago, it was still delivering water to the city.






Even more impressive is that this was built using no mortar. It is simply cut stones fitted together. A really amazing accomplishment.








For Lunch, Luis, Leeza, Tony and Luis's Parents had some secret that they wouldn't tell me, but promised I'd have the meal of my life. . . Hmm.

We wandered up the hill through the village towards the main square at the top of the hill.







The views were wonderful, and the winding medieval town streets made for a picturesque walk.






The restaurant we were heading to, Meson de Jose Maria, is just off the square. It is famous for something but they just wouldn't tell me. . .







But as we got closer, I began to guess what it was. This was going to be an Anthony Bourdain experience. . .









The restaurant is famous for serving "Cochinillo" or whole Suckling Pig.







All of us sat down at a large round table, and Luis's father ordered us a wonderful bottle of wine. We all (except Leeza who was horrified by this) ordered the Cochinillo.







I do have to admit, that it was a little strange seeing pictures of the chefs holding these little baby pigs, and my mind went back to that film, "Babe", and I felt a little bad that I was going to be eating Babe, but "when in Rome". . .



The Cochinillo arrived perfectly golden brown on a tray with the head and everything still attached.

Luis's parents were full of anticipation to see how Tony and I would react to it. The cochinillo was so tender that the chef needed only to use a plate to chop its head off and section up the piglet to give us our portion.



Once sectioned up, each cochinillo serves 6 people. Only the head isn't served. All I kept thinking was I wish my dogs Bentley and Pepper were here to eat the head. They would have been the happiest dogs on the planet!



Tony and I each got a leg section. It was delicious. The skin, (what the British call "Cracklin'") was so thin and flakey. It really did almost melt in your mouth. The meat was so tender, it was almost like a baby. Not that I've eaten a baby, mind you!

I would go back and eat there again in a second. One of the great experiences of being here in Europe is having the chance to try all these different regional specialties. . .





And this certainly fit into that category.


No comments:

Post a Comment