Saturday, August 7, 2010

The MONUMENT

Tony and I took off on the bus one afternoon to head over to see the Tower of London. We got off the bus at the Monument Tube Station, and not far from there we discovered the "Monument". It is a massive tower dedicated to the memory of the great fire that destroyed most of London over 100 years ago.

It turns out that the cause of the fire was traced back to a Pudding Shop (bakery). I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to look in the eyes of my neighbors after accidentally burning down the entire city. Of course, I almost burned down UCLA, but that is another story.

Tony and I climbed the 311 steps to the top of the Monument. It was quite an endless feeling spiral staircase. We had a good time, especially remembering all the other crazy stair climbing outings we'd done over the years in Europe.

The view from the top is pretty cool, but not completely exceptional as a lot of buildings have grown up around the monument, and now close it off a bit.

I do recommend climbing Monument, if for no other reason than to get a certificate of accomplishment you get when you get back down.

No comments:

Post a Comment