Saturday, August 21, 2010

London's Crazy Summer Weather


London has some crazy Summer Weather. It is changeable day to day, and that it can be sunny one moment, then cloudy, or even rainy the next. One day it might be warm and lovely, but the next will be cold. It's CRAZY in its inconsistency.









I've learned the difference between Bright Spells and Sunny Spells. I've learned that it can be hot and damp, and cold and damp, sometimes separated by on a few hours.





I've learned to carry an umbrella with me ALWAYS, as you never know when a surprise sprinkle will come out of that innocent looking gray cloud floating by overhead.





I've learned to check the weather report every morning with Carole, the lovely Scottish Weatherlady on the BBC. She is the best source to know whether or not I can ride my bike to work and back safely on a given day. And she is seldom wrong.





Carol is also the keeper of the Pollen Count. She can tell us in the morning whether or not Tony will be grumpier than usual as a result of the pollen being too high.







We call Carol our "Weather Wench", be know that she Carol is not to be taken lightly. She seems to have a direct line to Mother Nature and as such, this sunshine vixen will tease us with the possibility of sun, but only deliver rain.





It is a challenge to any would be BBQ chef to get outside when the weather is as indeterminant as it is here. At any moment, it seems there could be a Weather Warning, and down will come a "Heavy Rain".





Tony and I were caught in a sudden downpour one evening and got drenched. I'm guessing this was a bit of a laugh for Carol, who had predicted that rain was not due until much later that evening.





Probably, the best lesson I've learned is that if one never goes outside in London when rain is predicted, one wouldn't get to do much. Best advice is to go out, bring your umbrella, and don't be afraid to get a little wet. . .


1 comment:

  1. Lol, you are totally obsessed with her aren't you? Only rightly so I suppose. I never miss her reports before I step out for work for she literally dictates what I'll be wearing to work on that day!

    ReplyDelete