Sunday, October 21, 2012

The RRS Discovery

When we were planning to go to Edinburgh, I knew at once that I would love to get to see the famous sailing ship RRS Discovery, which is on display in Dundee, which is only 40 minutes away from Edinburgh.










The RRS Discovery is the ship that sailed all the way to Antartica for the famous expedition that went to the South Pole. 









At the time I was on a project where I needed to build a similar sailing ship, albeit a ship from around 100 years earlier. 












Still much of the technology was the same, and I was able to do a lot of good research for the project in seeing this ship. 











They've done a remarkable job fixing up the interiors to appear as they did at the time of the expedition.  It gives you a bit of an idea as to what it looked like at that time.






I was so happy to see such an historic vessel in such prime shape.  I only had an hour on it, but I got a ton of photos and inspiration from seeing it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment