Saturday, July 9, 2011

A Blading Adventure


We'd heard of Rollerblading in Europe on city streets long before we came here, and we'd often fantasized about joining a group that took over the streets of Paris for a mass rollerblading party.





That was until I saw one go passed me in London one Wednesday evening in Piccadilly Circus. I quickly realized that Tony and I were not qualified to join a group of bladers that could travel at 30+ miles an hour.



Thankfully, there was a Sunday afternoon group for slower people like us who might like to "stroll". I dragged Tony down to Hyde Park, and we strapped on our roller blades. I'd already practiced on the pothole infested road by our apartment, so I had a relatively good idea what to expect. We'd only ever rollerbladed on the cement bike path in Venice Beach back home - pot holes and cobblestones would create all new fun and excitement.



The group organizing the event did an amazing job of blocking off the 8 miles of streets and parts of streets for us to skate through. And 8 miles of skating over rough pavement and cobblestones was a real challenge.





We were very excited when we finally arrived back at Hyde Park and were able to take off our blades and sit down on the soft grass. I think the highlight of the day was our celebration Ice Cream Cone. A fantastic way to spend an afternoon, and we will do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment