Sunday, July 17, 2011

BBQ in London


Tony and I have tried the 3 top BBQ places in London now. Two more traditional American BBQ style (a fusion of the 3 different regional distinctions) and a third a well regarded Argentinian style BBQ. We've had three fun meals with different groups of friends.


BoDean's is often regarded as the best BBQ in London. I've heard this from several people. We went there for Thanksgiving, but what impressed me most that evening was their Clam Chowder. We decided that we needed to return to try their specialty - BBQ.

BoDean's does serve good BBQ. One can see the redness from the smoking, and the meat is tender and falling off the bones.



I tried the BBQ Baby Back Ribs and the BBQ chicken. If I have one complaint is is that the portions were smaller than what have come to expect from a BBQ joint. The chicken looked small, and the half rack of ribs looked like they came from a baby pig.


We also tried the Baked Beans and the Cornbread. Also two classic BBQ side dishes associated with good BBQ. I thought he Baked Beans were good, but the Cornbread was AWESOME! Tony really loved the Cornbread. They do also have the best darned New England style Clam Chowder in the whole of Britain. I know, quite a claim, but I haven't seen it served anywhere else.




We've also tested Big Easy, a BBQ joint in Chelsea. They actually get their beef from the same provider who raises the beef for the queen. That's pretty cool.




Tony and I shared a half BBQ chicken and a full rack of Baby Back Ribs. I really liked their BBQ. I thought the meat was tender and that it was tangy and flavorful. Tony however found them to be lacking. So we split on this restaurant.



We also tried an Argentinian BBQ Steakhouse called Santa Maria del Sur that my man Gordon Ramsey recommended on his "f" word show. It really was delicious, though different from the classic US BBQ that we get to craving now and then.


Tony and I both had steaks, that was cooked perfectly on an open grill. It was a bit of a journey for us as it was all the way down in Battersea, but well worth it for something of this quality. Of the BBQ places I've gone to, I would most like to return here.

All this BBQ talk reminds me of the BBQ festival that Tony and I went with our friend Pete to in Santa Monica before we headed over.









It was a remarkable afternoon filled with numerous BBQ joints showing off their best wares from Ribs and Tri Tip to sides such as Baked Beans and Mac and Cheese. We ate so much BBQ, that I think we were going to burst.

No comments:

Post a Comment