Sunday, May 15, 2011

Grocery Shopping in London


When I first came to London, one of the first things I missed were the massive glamourous grocery stores of the US. When I visited the US last December, I was reminded of the fabulous grocery stores there are back there.



This isn't to say that there aren't proper grocery stores here. I've come to appreciate Sainsbury (our primary grocery store) and Waitrose (our we need to feel pampered grocery store) considerably, and they are (though smaller) just as good a grocery store as one you would find in the states.



We also go to Tesco's a lot as it is our closest grocery store. Though smaller than Sainsbury and Waitrose, it still carries almost everything one would need.



The cooperative is a fun store, though a bit pricey at times, and not as well stocked as Tescos, it is another alternative.

When we really need something small, basic, and quick, there is a convenience store just 3 blocks away. It is a little divey, but it has a lot of the basic essentials, and I can pick up milk, eggs, or bread when I take the dogs out for their walk in the morning.

It is a little strange not to see produce and eggs refridgerated, but they seem to be fresh, and I haven't had a problem yet. I do miss the lightning, thunder, and artificial rainstorms that grocery store produce aisles in the states have - very entertaining. I can only imagine what someone from outside the US must think when they see this crazy American custom.


As we are on foot when doing our shopping, we tend to shop small and often. Occasionally, when we need our fix for larger portions, we have been known to hire (rent) a car and drive up to the American giant superstore, Costco. However on our most recent journey to Costco, Tony and I realized that it doesn't fit into our lifestyle as much as it used to. We have learned to buy in smaller portions as we don't have a massive refridgerator with a spare one in the garage. Nor do we have a large pantry or storage cabinet in which to store entire flats of soup and soda.


We're adapting to the British way of grocery shopping life. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment