Sunday, February 21, 2010

Pancake Day = Fat Tuesday

In London, they don't celebrate Mardi Gras, or Fat Tuesday. Instead, they celebrate Pancake Day. It is the same thing however. It is a celebration of something indulgent such as pancakes. I heard about the local American diner by my work serving FREE coffee and pancakes. As nothing is free in London, this was a treat. I rode the bus into work early that morning as it was pouring rain. I convinced one of my supes (actually the man who interviewed and recruited me to come to Double Negative) to join me in my quest to experience pancake day.

We walked down to Piccadilly to Ed's Diner. It was quite the happening spot. They were serving crepe-like pancakes with nutella on them. There were people on stilts, magicians, etc. It was a fundraiser, awareness generator for a humanitarian group called "Random Acts of Kindness". It was a fun and goofy time.

Tony is going to be going to an event later this called the Pancake Races. People run down the street flipping pancakes as part of a relay team. Just when you thought London couldn't get much stranger. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment