Sunday, November 22, 2009

The Pie Pub

My meat pie obsession has taken me to strange places in search of exotic meat pies, but it reached it's zenith with my visit to the Newman Arms Pub. It is well known for its traditional meat pies.







Up until now, I've avoided the classic Steak and Kidney pie, but I broke down and finally ordered it.

But not just any steak and kidney pie mind you. I had a Steak and Kidney pie in a steamed Suet Crust. They actually call it a pudding, which scared me a bit. The image of Steak and Kidney Pudding. . .


I went with my friend and coworker Nick, who is British, to have the pie authenticated. I don't know that I would have had it if he hadn't assured me that this was the way his "nan" used to make them.







As it turned out the pie was delicious albeit very, very rich. Kidney as it turned out tastes a bit like liver (if you've had that). I don't know that I need to have another steak and kidney pie, but I do know that I will definitely go back to the Newman Arms for more pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment