Sunday, November 13, 2011

Halloween


Halloween is not a holiday celebrated as much here in the UK as it is in the states, but there is still plenty of Halloween spirit here.




There certainly is a lot of Halloween inspiraton from mossy gravestones in old cemetaries to the amber leaves falling everywhere.





Autumn is a beautiful time to visit London. The summer crowds have died down, and the kids are back in school. The weather is also usually dry. This year has been particularly warm and pleasant.






Tony and I have enjoyed just walking around our neighborhood with the dogs soaking it all in.









Even my main girl, Elvira, has been known to make an appearance here.



People do occasionally dress up in costume and go trick or treating, but it isn't as commonplace as in the states.

We didn't do much this year, except that I stretched my culinary legs and made my first batch of Pumpkin Soup. I cut up a whole pumpkin, then roasted it in the oven with rosemary and onions.






I then purreed it and added some sauteed bacon and cream. Delicious.

You can actually get canned pumpkin here, but it just isn't as commonplace.

Some festive Halloween Beers were the finishing touch. Hobgoblin Beer has proclaimed itself the Unofficial Beer of Halloween in the UK.

While in the Pumpkin mood, I also made some Homemade Pumpkin Cranberry Bread. Yummy.




Now, however, is the time to enjoy pumpkin everything, as come January, I won't want pumpkin anything for another year. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment