Monday, September 19, 2011

A World of Honey!


One thing that I've loved trying out in Europe are all the different types of honey. I've purchased honey from almost everywhere we've visited.



Denmark, Ukraine, France, Spain, Sweden, Luxembourg, Austria - they all have honey of varying types and consistencies.



Luxembourgish Honey from the Grand Duche of Luxembourg is quite sought after, and is strictly regulated. I'm not sure why, but each jar is stamped with a number and the seal of the duke.

Of course I had to buy a jar of it to bring home. With this kind of exotic marketing, how could I not?





I think this honey mania reached its "bee-nith" when Tony, Mark, Dara and I went to the Southbank Convention Center for the London Honey Festival.




Evidently, there are hives all over the London area, and there are clubs that maintain them and teach others to do it. There are some right in our neighborhood even. I had to buy a jar of Honey from Hackney, which is only a few blocks away. I've probably seen some of their bees in action.






I was happy to find that I'm not the only Honey Nut in London. Turns out that Dara is quite a Honey Fiend herself.









I was amazed at the numbers of beekeepers in London. Right now, they were selling honey from the work of the bees in the Spring. As a result, the honey will have a very light floral flavor. They are just now preparing to harvest the honey from the late summer. Because of the abundance of other flowers, the honey will have a much deeper complex flavor. Very interesting. . .

I'll have to buy some more honey.






Of course this does have the makings for a really bad "B"-movie. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment