Saturday, August 6, 2011

London's Pothole-Ridden Roads

Okay, so I've driven throughout a bunch of Europe now, and I can easily say that the UK has some of the worst roads.

It's embarrassing that this once great nation has some of the worst maintained roads in the 1st world. Sadly, whether or not England is part of the 1st world seems to be more and more a matter of opinion these days.

I don't know if the roads weren't built properly in the first place, or if the weather is just particularly hard on the roads, but there are an estimated 2 million potholes throughout the UK. To be honest, that number seems low to me.

In my neighborhood, there are patches on the patches, and still there are potholes. I tried to practice roller blading on my street. HA! I did learn to stay up however, and I figure if I could manage to blade on my streets, I would be ready blade with the Sunday Afternoon Blading group.

A group is now petitioning the Transportation Authority here to have signs posted where there is a severe pothole. The sign would look like the one above. Absurdity rises to new levels. I say just fix the roads. Perhaps some of the vast numbers of people on unemployment and benefit over here could be put to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment