Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Strattford Upon Avon

As part of my learning how to drive in the UK, I decided to do some overnight trips out of town. Strattford Upon Avon was highly recommended as a wonderful country town to visit. It is also renowned as the Birth and Burial place of William Shakespeare.





This time, I booked the shared car from the car club to which I belong, and Tony and I packed the dogs into the car and away we went. It is about a 2 hour drive up the Motorway. And this time to increase the difficulty level, I drove stick. My ultimate practical driving test would be using a stick shift, so it was time to start learning how to do it here in the UK.



We arrived at the Alveston Manor Hotel where it is purported that "A Midsummer Night's Dream" was first performed on the lawn in front of the hotel. It was a very comfortable hotel and just an easy walk across the river from the main part of town. Most importantly, it was dog friendly.

We arrived in time to have a nice pub lunch and a pint, and join the local tour of the town. Shakespeare is obviously the favorite son of this otherwise cute and relaxed country town - definitely a different pace from the craziness of downtown London.


Everywhere, there are the half timber style buildings that typify the classic English country style. Some are truly old, while others are modern built to look old. The town has done a wonderful job to maintain its image.

We took a lovely 2 hour walking tour of the town, and visited the church where William Shakespeare is buried. I couldn't help but remember my English Literature teacher from High School, Margaret Chaconas.







The church is a small country church that sits along side a lazy green river - a serenely beautiful setting.









Inside is the grave of William Shakespeare, where he is interned to this day. Many people from that period were buried, but their bodies later removed. Luckily, he is still there. It was humbling to be this close to a man who has had such a huge impact on world literature and theater.

We also visited the school William Shakespeare attended as a child. It is still a school to this day. I can only imagine the pressure upon those students knowing that such a literary genius preceeded them there.

Many of the homes that William Shakespeare or his heirs lived in still stand in some manner, or have been reconstructed. We didn't go inside any of them, but they look like the quaint English country homes one might imagine.

Unfortunately, the main theater at the Shakespeare Center was undergoing construction. I'd love to go back to Strattford Upon Avon to see a play and spend another relaxing weekend soaking in the English Countryside.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Kevin -- A friend of mine came across this reference to me -- and I can't tell you how pleased (and proud) I am to be remembered after all these years! I retired from SHHS in 1986 but still keep in touch with a few students and faculty friends. Your travels to the UK and points beyond sound absolutely fascinating, and I'll be reading all your past and future blogs. . . . Kevin, you're one of the few SHHS students I really remember well. (I still smile when I think of your book report on "Picture of Dorian Grey.") Continue to enjoy your journeys and your career .. All the best, Margaret Chaconas(avlaki3@aol.com)

    ReplyDelete